Followers

About Me

My photo
Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

And the week just gets worse...

So, I just got a 16 out of 20 on my copyright essay for LIS 2000.  While this isn't bad, per se, I disagree with the grading on it and felt compelled to write the T.A. a very polite email asking for clarification.  I legitimately don't understand how my thesis of the need for change in copyright laws in order to keep libraries functioning to the best of their ability for their patrons does not apply to “the effects that copyright and other intellectual property laws might have on future library services.”  I seriously need this cleared up.  I'm gonna lose sleep.  No lie.  I've been working so hard all semester and now, between this and what will surely be a horrible LIS 2600 quiz grade, I feel like I'm losing it all.  The balls are starting to drop...   :(

2 comments:

  1. I got a crappy grade on the midterm and really can't understand why. I feel like the grading schemes are fairly strange and the questions they ask completely unclear. I don't have a grade yet for this essay, but if they want us to say certain things, stop asking such vague questions questions that can be interpreted two thousand different ways. On the previous essay, I got a good grade but was told I interpreted in a different but legitimate way. How they hell was I supposed to know exactly what they were looking for? If they want certain things, they really should make their thoughts clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for understanding! The TA who graded my paper stated that my thesis did not apply to what the actual assignment was -- I wrote about how we need to reform copyright and the issues with its current state within libraries. I emailed her asking for clarification, which she explained succinctly, so it's not her "fault", per se. However, for the last two papers (which a different professor graded) gave me the liberty to take the assignment and go a bit further, which was what I thought I was doing with this last essay; apparently, though, that was not what I was supposed to do. Wish I knew that beforehand!

    ReplyDelete